Thursday, April 8, 2010

ERM-BC-COOP: No experience required

 

I came across an advertisement the other day that really scares me.

And it's not even fright night.

The ad is offering me a "Business Continuity Plan and Disaster Recovery Plan Template."

Templates are scary enough, but then the ad copy goes to a bullet list that includes

  • An easy to use Microsoft Word (r) template
  • Logical and simple to follow
  • Easy to understand instructions - no experience required!
  • Free and unlimited 12 Months support from expert consultants

All this and more for the paltry sum of US$397.58 (also payable in Aus$ or Euros).

And the blurb promises that the template "Meets compliance requirements (SOX, ITIL, BS25999, ISO 17799/27001, HB 221)."

W O W

Oh yes, the ad promised that - for a limited time only - the advertiser will throw in five FREE Business Continuity Templates"

I'm curious about these "expert consultants." Are there any consultants out there - expert of otherwise - who have agreed to provide support for a (relatively) inexpensive software package?

I wonder if the people who cobbled together the software have any business continuity experience. Do they even know - or care - that disaster recovery is NOT business continuity and that D/R is an integral part of BC?

I've been in business continuity for a baker's dozen years and I know that "no experience necessary" almost assures a useless plan that promotes an undeserved level of confidence - "We have a plan so we're safe from all threats." People are injured or die from that level of false confidence; businesses fail despite "The Plan"

OK, there is some sour grapes to this. I worked hard to gain the knowledge I have (and share). Programs promising to create a plan "no experience necessary" cut into my income as well as jeopardizing people and business.

Anyone who expects a "check the box"e plan to save their assets is foolish.

I hope whoever buys and uses this product never needs to use it.

John Glenn, ,MBCI
Enterprise Risk Management practitioner
Hollywood/Fort Lauderdale Florida
JohnGlennMBCI at gmail dot com

No comments: