Sunday, May 15, 2011

ERM-BC-COOP: Awards

 

The other day I read an appeal by a person claiming Business Continuity Management expertise, including, specifically "Business Impact Analysis," asking members of a supposedly professional group "for some suggestions on inclusions for a BIA questionaire"(sic). The appeal, for what it's worth, is at http://tinyurl.com/3ty5otb.

I suggested, as I often do, that people claiming expertise but lacking same, cause practitioners with time-in-grade to take up Jacob Cohen's plaint: "I don't get no respect."

We ought, I suggested to a couple of my peers, create an award with Mr. Cohen's mug on it and present it to the people who cause us to exclaim that infamous expression.

I'd show you a photo of the late Mr. Cohen, but due to copyright vigilantes I'm forced to forego the pleasure. You may, of course, visit http://tinyurl.com/3n9opvj to see the gentleman's photographs.

But today I realized we also need an award for executives who with fail to engage our expertise - at least those of us who DO have the expertise - or, worse, fail to implement our carefully researched and thought out recommendations.

Such people make me MAD, and it is from MAD Magazine that I found my poster boy for this award.

Good ol' Alfred E. (http://tinyurl.com/3o23al7

But, like Mr. Cohen, a/k/a Rodney Dangerfield, I fear to run Alfred E.'s likeness here.

But picture MAD's favorite cover guy with his famous "What, me worry?" statement on a suitably framed award.

Since I musing about awards, maybe there also should be an award for "business continuity" practitioners who deal only with Information Technology.

My recommendation for this award's poster boy is Moshe Dayan, the late one-eyed Israeli general and politician (or are "general" and "politician" redundant).

Don't like Dayan? Maybe a cartoon character with a telescope. The one here is a royalty-free image from Microsoft Word's collection.

There's nothing wrong with a business continuity planner coming from an InfoTech background, but all practitioners need to understand that InfoTech usually is a profit center resource rather than the profit center.

How about an Alex Trebek (http://jackpendarvis.blogspot.com/2009/03/vintage-trebek.html) award for the client who expects the practitioner to know everything about everything, not realizing that a really good business continuity practitioners is an expert in one field: business continuity.

Have an idea for an award? Share it with me at JohnGlennMBCI@gmail.com .

No comments: