Sunday, May 20, 2012

ERM-BC-COP:

Half a program
Not worth the price

 

I have an anti-virus program. The license is roughly $50 a year, about average for such an application.

As a virus checker, it is one of the best.

Unfortunately, as a virus BLOCKER it falls short.

As a virus REMOVER it is sorely lacking.

Making matters worse, this application doesn't "play nicely" with similar applications from other vendors (e.g., AVG).

My machine was "bugged," probably from an infected email.

I ran the anti-virus app.

It found the problem.

It identified the problem.

It reported that it removed the problem.

But the problem remained.

I called tech support.

Tech support told me to try another, free, product.

I did. The problem remained.

Contacted tech support again.

Same response, different product.

Same result.

On my third chat with tech support I was told to try yet another free product. This last product DID eliminate the problem.

Mind, none of the tech support recommended programs belongs to the anti-virus company I pay to keep my system clean.

This particular anti-virus software also has an applet that it claims can erase files.

I have a file on the machine it cannot erase.

But then it can't be erased by other applications, either.

The "bottom line" to this rant. A product that doesn't work is not worth having, no matter how good parts of the product may function.

I'll grant that the tech support was superior, but having to resort to other folks' applications, especially free ones, speaks volumes for the product. Unfortunately, those are NOT volumes of praise.

The problem with virus checkers is that you don't know how good they are - or are not - until after the fact.

I wrote earlier that this anti-virus application wouldn't "play nicely" with other, similar programs such as AVG.

That's true, but both can be installed and one turned off while the other works.

From an ERM-BC-COOP perspective, it seems sensible, if not "centsible," to install two same-type programs even if the user must turn one off to run the other - at least until one of the two has proven its value. Either that or maintain a list of free, Internet-accessible products (or have a really good working relationship with the vendor's tech support folks).

If I wrote it, you may quote it.

Longer articles at https://sites.google.com/site/johnglennmbci/




No comments: