Monday, January 22, 2018

Opuscula

OSDisc.com
Missing QC, CSR
And GRUB loader

I AM TRYING TO “MIGRATE” FROM MS WINDOWS’ constant UI changes and massive overhead to Linux.

Since I am NOT a Linux guru and since I foolishly bought a made-in-China HP laptop (no blue screen, just auto-resets) instead of a Dell pre-loaded with Linux, I bought a 64 GB USB flash drive from OSDisc.com that was supposed to be complete with Linux Mint 18.3/Cinnamon.

The USB flash drive MAY have Linux’ Mint 18.3 and Cinnamon on it, but it is NOT complete.

According to OSDisc.com, loading the USB drive’s contents will partition a hard drive with Windows already installed, then load all the components to make Linux Mint 18.3 with Cinnamon operational.

The disk was partitioned as specified.

After going through the motions and playing “20 questions” during installation, I got a message:

Installation could not be completed, GRUB BOOT LOADER missing.

Realizing human error was possible, I restored Win 10 (my computer guru son insisted I make a recovery CD) and tried again.

Once again I got the message:

Installation could not be completed, GRUB BOOT LOADER missing.

OK, “things” happen so I sent an email to OSDisc.com on 27 December informing it that the Grub Boot Loader was AWOL.

No response.

I thought it’s the end of the year and between year end projects and holidays, maybe OSDisc.com overlooked my email.

I resent the email on 2 January, but in truth I didn’t expect an immediate answer. Maybe the CSRs (if any) were suffering from too much holiday. It happens.

Now, it’s 21 January and STILL no response from OSDisc.com.

In one of my several emails I asked OSDisc.com to send me a Return Authorization (RA) and I would send the USB flash drive back; in return, OSDisc.com could send me a replacement that had been through Quality Assurance (QA) and Quality Control (QC) if separate entities at OSDisc.com.

It would have been nicer if OSDisc.com sent me a QA/QCed replacement USB flash drive and allowed me to return the defective unit a day or two after receipt of the new drive.

I can “absorb” the loss of the $35 OSDisc.com charged, but I cannot abide the caviler attitude. I wonder if OSDisc.com treats all its customers so badly.

I suppose I could have disputed the sale with my credit card company, but I DID receive a product, albeit a defective one.

In the unlikely chance that someone from OSDisc.com reads this post, my order number was 261828.

Meanwhile, I cannot recommend OSDisc.com to anyone moving to, or upgrading Linux.

The holidays are long past; it’s time for OSDisc.com to make things right. (If it does, I will append that information below.)

I know “things happen,” I just want OSDisc.com to make it right. So far it just ignores my emails.


OSDisc.com
POB 371481
Denver CO 80237

PLAGIARISM is the act of appropriating the literary composition of another, or parts or passages of his writings, or the ideas or language of the same, and passing them off as the product of one’s own mind.
The truth of a statement is a complete defense to a claim of defamation. (http://www.cohenlawdenver.com/civil-litigation/defamation/; http://kellywarnerlaw.com/colorado-defamation-laws/)

Comments on OSDisc.com

No comments: