Monday, May 12, 2014

Opuscula

On being "politically correct"
Don't ever say what you think

 

Lately there has been a lot of talk - and censure - of people who made politically incorrect remarks. Some were made in what the speaker thought was a private, two-person moment, others were broadcast to the world via (anti?) social media.

Have we taken political correctness too far, so far it can limit free expression?

I expect this diatribe will be lumped into the politically INcorrect category. So be it.

Perhaps I have a reason to dislike left-handed multi-nationals born under a full moon north of the Arctic Circle in the month of June.

Perhaps I tell my neighbor that I think people who are left-handed multi-nationals born under a full moon north of the Arctic Circle in the month of June lack manners, dress badly, and eat like animals and I would prefer that my kin do not associate with these people.

That's my opinion, and even if I broadcast it on "social" media, that's still my opinion.

It may be offensive to left-handed multi-nationals born under a full moon north of the Arctic Circle in the month of June, but that does not eliminate my opinion or my right to express it.

Unless some Amendments to the U.S. Constitution have been abrogated, have been erased from our history, my speech, even if offensive to left-handed multi-nationals born under a full moon north of the Arctic Circle in the month of June and the bleeding heart liberals who, more than the people cited, take umbrage to my words, I still have the right to express myself.

I lack the right to yell "FIRE!" in a crowded theater (or theatre) nor do I have the right to incite others to do violence to people or property.

I might get beat up if I call a black guy a "nigger," although blacks use that term to describe each other. That doesn't make my use of the word illegal anymore than calling a Jew a "kike" or "Hebe" is illegal. Stupid, maybe, and calling me a derogatory name might get someone a lesson the speaker won't soon forget, but those words are not illegal.

The other day a Miami Dolphins football player said he didn't like the idea of a gay being drafted into the NFL (on another team). Or perhaps the Dolphin was upset seeing the draftee and his boyfriend kissing for the camera. The Miami player - who was immediately suspended by the team management - expressed his feeling on "social media."

The Dolphin somehow, when he signed a contract with the Fish apparently also waived his right to think and express his thoughts. Much like the military, players - and owners of professional sports franchises - are allowed to say only what is permitted by the Powers-That-Be.

Say the wrong things, and even the resident of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue will chime in with his opinion. Never mind that he is guilty of slandering a person who is not the president's "color." And never mind his well documented snug or a friendly, albeit non-Muslim, head of state.

If I happen to have a problem with left-handed multi-nationals born under a full moon north of the Arctic Circle in the month of June and I express my opinion are the PC Police going to swoop down and either arrest me or demand that I apologize to all the left-handed multi-nationals born under a full moon north of the Arctic Circle in the month of June?

There is a limit to free speech.

But there also needs to be a limit to "political correctness" as defined by the easily offended.


No comments: