Friday, December 4, 2020

Opuscula

A stupid offer
I gladly
DELETED

A scammer claiming to be The Bank of Missouri is offering me a MasterCard if I will pay said bank a “processing fee” of only $89.00 !

There IS a Bank of Missouri. (https://tinyurl.com/y2xyb4w6)

I have had bank cards for decades. I never paid a fee; the cards were issued by institutions with which I was doing business.

 

Screen capture of email

 

Since I was curious to know about this Bank of Missouri, I read the offer's small print.

I learned that the spam came from a marketing company in Buffalo NY.

    That put me in mind of an old hot sauce commercial when a cowboy can’t believe the competitor’s sauce is “Made In New York City!

Are there no marketing companies in Missouri? Not even St. Louis?

At the very bottom of the email, there was, in the same small print, a line that read:

To be removed from our list, simply click here or write to us at:

Naturally I “clicked here” and was taken to the web site that presented me the image below:

 

Scammer uncovered

 

Because I did not just fall off the turnip truck, I decided to look at the email’s trail, its bona fide.

The email actually was posted from support@enjund.eclaitt.org.uk.

 

Tail and trail of email

 

I looked for eclaitt.org with and without “.uk.”

I failed to find any description of WHAT the company does, but I did see its disclaimer. (http://eclaitt.org.uk/disclaimer.html)

I asked The Bank of Missouri twice over two days if it even issued MasterCards.

I know there IS a “Bank OF Missouri,” but I’m not sure anyone works there as I failed to receive a response to my twice-submitted query.

I also know the bank, the Buffalo NY marketing company, and the U.K-based organization that apparently sent the email (on the bank's or the marketing company's behalf) will not get my business; not for $89 or for any amount.


PLAGIARISM is the act of appropriating the literary composition of another, or parts or passages of his writings, or the ideas or language of the same, and passing them off as the product of one’s own mind.

Truth is an absolute defense to defamation. Defamation is a false statement of fact. If the statement was accurate, then by definition it wasn’t defamatory.

Web sites (URLs) beginning https://tinyurl.com/ are generated by the free Tiny URL utility and reduce lengthy URLs to manageable size.

 

Comment on Stupid offer

No comments: