Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Opuscula

What is it
With hoodies
In 90o heat?

IT IS 90o OUTSIDE AND A TEENAGER IS WALKING AROUND WITH A HOODIE PULLED OVER HIS HEAD.

I don’t think “Mad dogs and Englishmen”1; rather I think “Is the person a criminal trying to hide to his appearance?”

Nothing racist about this: it makes no difference the color of the person’s skin.

 

I understand that some people who work outside need to cover their head and neck. A kepi (right) would do nicely, but I suppose kepis are hard to find outside of the French Foreign Legion. A baseball cap with a handkerchief also would work.

Most hoodies are made for chilly weather.

Why wear a hoodie in the summer — unless you are trying to hide something?

I see school age children going to class in hoodies — and even wearing the hoodie in the classroom.

Birds of a feather

There is an old saying the “Birds of a feather flock together.” Put another way, “affinity groups.”

Maybe is just me, but hoodies worn in the summer suggest something threatening.

Perhaps I’ve seen too many images of hoodie-wearing juveniles destroying property or burglarizing retail outlets.

I know, deep down, that a hoodie-wearing young person is not necessarily a criminal.

Still, to me, a youth wearing a hoodie in summer’s heat suggests to me that the person is a “punk,” someone I normally want to avoid.

Granted, it may not be “fair,” but it IS my “gut feeling.”

Not all criminals wear hoodies in the summer.

Not all hoodie-wearers are criminals.

Perhaps wearing a hoodie in summer’s heat is just a fad. Back in “my” day, the mark of a rebellious teenager was DA-styled hair. James Dean and Rebel without a Cause and Blackboard Jungle were the style-setters and many adults felt about “DAs” as I do about hoodies. Much later, “Fonzi” of Happy Days, made the DA tolerable, if not acceptable.

Perhaps in another 20 years hoodies in summer also will be a “ho hum” non-issue.

But today …


Sources

1. Noel Coward: https://tinyurl.com/y63b6vxf

Advertisement by Humberside PD, UK
(Source: https://tinyurl.com/y4myxsd4)

PLAGIARISM is the act of appropriating the literary composition of another, or parts or passages of his writings, or the ideas or language of the same, and passing them off as the product of one’s own mind.

Truth is an absolute defense to defamation. Defamation is a false statement of fact. If the statement was accurate, then by definition it wasn’t defamatory.

Web sites (URLs) beginning https://tinyurl.com/ are generated by the free Tiny URL utility and reduce lengthy URLs to manageable size.

 

Comment on Hoodies

No comments: