Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Opuscula

It's been several
Of "those days"

 

I HOPE I'M NOT PAYING FOR MINUTES on calls I don't answer.

The spammers from the sub-continent called me several times telling me they were Windows technical support. Despite telling them I use Linux, the calls continued.

But I quickly learned how to identify calls from Mumbai, Kolkata, Delhi, and Chennai.

Not bad enough, an ophthalmologist I selected for cataract surgery wanted me to sign a form allowing him to use me in his marketing program. If I don't agree to his unrestricted use of my image, he won't perform the surgery.

Fortunately there are a number of other qualified eye surgeons in my neighborhood. (Lots of geezers live in the area, and "geezers" = "cataracts.")

ADMITTEDLY, Windows, as do all Microsoft products, NEEDS technical support, and I know that companies trying to save a cent at customer expense take business - including tech support - off shore. Never mind that it is difficult - at best - to understand these folks in India, Pakistan, and let's not forget, the Philippines.

The real problem with these scammers is that the right hand doesn't communicate with the left hand. After I've told several "I DON'T USE WINDOWS" I still get calls from the same organization.

They simply don't give up.

My phone rings 3, 4, 5 times-a-day as the scammers try to convince me an OS I don't use needs their wisdom. If they HAD any wisdom, they would stop calling and listening to Ring-No Answer responses. Maybe these scammers are using a Windows' database and can't figure out how to flag my number as "no response" or "RNA." It is fairly obvious these are robo-calls (not to be confused with Robo-Rubio).

It seems that the Powers That Be at Microsoft would go after people who use its products to scam users. Obviously - else the scammers would quit - they fool lots of people and manage to fleece them out of their money.

AND THEN THERE IS THE OPTHALMOLOGIST

I know lots of doctors think they are a god, but the absolute chutzpah of this person is astounding.

In Florida doctors may self-insure. If they screw up and are sued and don't have the wherewithal to pay for the damage they caused, the patient - or survivors - are out of luck.

Signs stating the doctor has elected NOT to carry malpractice insurance about as common in South Florida as an accident on an interstate road.

Likewise, statements allowing the doctor to share a patient's records with insurance carriers, governments, and a few select others (e.g., morbidity panels) and students in medical programs are common clauses prospective patients are required to sign before treatment can begin.

This eye doctor, who will for the moment remain anonymous, requires potential patients to agree to allow him to use patient information - including the patient's image - for marketing purposes- or he will refuse to provide his services. In truth, it's a model release; and there is no compensation for the patient.

On another form, the doctor warns the patient-to-be that if the patient pays with a credit card, finds something amiss, and cancels the payment the doctor will sue.

Granted, it is not unreasonable to sue for a cancelled payment.

But the form suggests that this practice gets many cancelled payments.

Maybe I'm old fashioned - as well as old - but I expect professionals to project a professional image.

As Harry S' desk sign stated: "The buck stops here"

This doctor apparently cares nothing about his image.

The package of forms I needed to fill out included:

    A Patient Information form copied on a slant and lacking room to answer the questions

    Two forms with typographical errors (doesn't anyone proofread image documents?)

    And of course the marketing permission form that is the primary cause of this rant.

I suppose I should be glad that my surgery will be with a doctor other than the one with whom I had the now cancelled appointment.

It's been a rough week - and it's only Wednesday.


No comments: