Friday, February 12, 2016

Opuscula

Organized BDS vs.
Personal Preference

 

I DON'T BUY CHINESE (when there is an alternative) and I encourage others to follow suit.

When I say "I don't buy" that includes knowingly buying Chinese stocks.

The operative word is knowingly.

My retirement fund might invest in Chinese stocks, but I have no control over where the fund management puts my few dollars. I am not going to tell the fund managers to divest all Chinese stocks and bonds.

I don't believe in political BDS; while I encourage people to buy products from sources other than China, I am not pressing my representative to Washington (who is useless in any event) to ban Chinese imports.

WHAT'S MY PROBLEM with the Chinese?

I'd like to write that my primary objection is the government's human rights violations, but in truth, that's reason #2.

The Number One reason is absolute lack of quality assurance/quality control and total disregard for consumer safety.

Perhaps someday things will improve; Japan started off sending shoddy products to the U.S., but it improved. Now almost every family has Japanese products in the house or driveway. Most are considered reliable.

So what have the Chinese sent us that prompts this rant? Let me begin with a"short" list:

  • Baby food
  • Children's pjs (famable and toxic)
  • Dry wall
  • Face cream
  • Flip-flops
  • Human food (donkey/fox and sewage-raised fish)
  • Laminate flooring
  • Pet food
  • Tires,
  • Toys for the young and young of heart

The U.S. is not the only country to have Chinese products recalled.

SYDNEY, Australia — An Australian company has recalled its frozen berry products after a hepatitis A outbreak linked to poor hygiene and water supplies in a Chinese packaging plant.


A few on-line articles supporting the need to beware of China's exports.

China Has a History of Selling Dangerous Products to U.S. Consumers

The 6 Most Horrifying Product Recalls in China

Toxic dyes, lethal logos, cotton drenched in formaldehyde... How your clothes could poison you

China's Product-Safety Recalls

China Recalls

China Product Recalls

Guess Which Country Topped 2007 Recall List?

Chinese Tires Pose Safety and Recall Problems

Report backs Chinese drywall health complaints

China Product Recalled in Australia After Hepatitis Outbreak


No comments: